Safe and Efficient Blasting Course
Kalgoorlie - 22nd -23rd July 2015
Orica Mining Services invites you or representatives from your Company to attend the well recognised Safe and Efficient Blasting course in Underground Metal.
Completion of the course will equip participants to:
• Compare Explosives Types and decide a reasonably cost-effective combination,
• Correctly Prime and Charge blastholes to ensure optimum performance,
• Select a suitable Initiation System, including delay intervals and hook-up methods,
• Modify Blast Patterns in difficult or unusual areas so as to maintain good results,
• Control excessive Flyrock, Vibrations, and Airblast,
• Identify potential Safety Hazards relating to explosives and know how to avoid them,
• Comply with Explosives and Mining Regulations pertaining to explosives.
• Evaluate Risks associated with blasting
• Analyze the wider operational Cost implications of changing blasting methods
Course Objectives and Target Groups
The program is designed to further enhance the skills and knowledge of shotfirers, supervisory personnel, mining engineers, geologists and drill and blast foremen. The objective of this course is to provide participants with a greater understanding of the requirements of drilling and blasting in Underground Metal Mining, so that they are able to carry out their job responsibilities which may be “hands-on” planning or supervisory:
• Introduction to Blasting & Terminology
• Workshop – “solving Oversize & Misfire Problems”
• Explosives Properties that affect Blasting
• Rock Breakage with Explosives
• Application of Correct Explosives in Tunnels
• Bulk Explosives Systems & Videos
• Charging Techniques in Development Tunnels
• Tunneling Design Techniques
• Initiation Systems for Development Tunnels
• Videos of Blasts – Initiation Systems
• Workshop – Initiation in Large Tunnels
• Computerised Initiation in Tunnels
• Blasting Video Review – Unusual Blasting
• Priming for Optimal Performance
• Workshop – “ solving Stoping Problems”
• Correct Explosives for Production Blasting
• Initiation Systems for Production Blasting
• Electronic / Digital Initiation Systems
• Blasting Video Review “Blasting Applications”
• How to Conduct Specialised Blasting Methods
• Workshop – “ Initiation for Ringfiring”
• Blasting Video Review “Specialised Blasting”
• Workshop – “ firing into Slots & Raises
• Vibration / Airblast / Concusion Controls
• Safety in Blasting with Accidents Review
The presenters are drawn from Orica Australia's extensive network of Blasting Engineers and Technical Specialists. Many of these are widely acknowledged as specialists in their field with collective experience in the explosives / blasting industry of over 100 years of practical blasting experience in most blasting environments.
Fees and Registration
Safe and Efficient Blasting Course (2 days)
1 – 2 people from the same mine $2223.00 per person
3 – 5 people from the same mine $2103.00 per person
6 or more from the same mine $1983.00 per person
The fee covers lecutres, lecture facilities, course manual, lunches and the Conference Dinner on Day 1 evening. Accommodation is not included in this fee.
Orica does not charge upfront fees for training courses. Invoicing occurs only once a course program is completed. For all traineeship and fee for service courses or qualification programs delivered in a workplace environment, fees are non-refundable once paid.
We will charge a late notice withdrawal fee (of $500) in instances where an external customer has booked and enrolled on a blasting course (i.e. Surface Shotfirer, Underground Shotfirer, Safe & Efficient Blasting Course) and provided less than seven (7) days notice of withdrawal from the course. This fee is to cover the loss of the course place which would be difficult to fill at such a late stage, as well as costs associated with additional administrative work for the organisers, off-site facilities and meals, resource preparation etc.
What to Bring
All participants are asked to bring a calculator, pencil and ruler.
If you are able to bring a laptop computer we can load SHOTPlus® software which runs a free trial licence for 10 days. There may be a limited number of laptops provided to share amongst the group.